Santa Barbara County is seeking a County Counsel. The ideal County Counsel will be a strong manager and leader who brings a generalist legal background and a broad breadth of experience in a variety of organizations, including both the public and private sectors. A background providing legal advice on issues that affect different types of communities, including urban, suburban, and rural will serve the successful candidate well. The next County Counsel possesses the political aptitude to anticipate issues of concern, is a creative problem-solver resourceful in ascertaining information quickly and is adept at finding a path through difficult issues. Exceptional communication skills – both written and verbal – and the ability to present technical information in an easily understood manner are essential. The Board of Supervisors is seeking servant leaders who engender the principles of collegiality and collaboration and respect the operational roles and missions of the County’s departments while providing them with the best legal advice. Individuals who endeavor to problem solve using their expertise and legal tools to assist Board members, other county officers, department directors, commissions and committees are encouraged to apply.
In addition to the qualifications previously stated, desirable competencies and characteristics include:
- Maintains very high ethical standards and is a person of exceptional character who naturally earns the confidence and trust of others and does not compromise under pressure.
- Familiarity or experience with coastal communities, agricultural issues including cannabis, disasters, and energy issues.
- Experience or familiarity with the standard portfolio of cases for California counties including child protection, tax assessment, conservatorship, and civil litigation cases.
- Strong negotiating skills and experience working with politically sensitive issues.
- Expertise in California public meeting law and complex land use and environmental issues.
- Experience with complex litigation and the management of contracts with outside counsel.
- A strong leader who values the input and expertise of staff, supports professional development, and fosters an internal culture of open communication, trust, and accountability.
To apply, click here.